Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day 78 -- Vernal to Springville, Utah -- 159 Miles

Our run today involved driving through some truly beautiful country along Routes 191 and 40 as we left Vernal, Utah and motored leisurely along Ruote 191 toward Heber, Utah. After having lunch and a nice walk on the Heber police station grounds, we branched off on Route 40 through the Provo Canyon, and finished up in Springville, Utah for the day.

We were a bit put off by what we expected to be a nice, quiet KOA camp in the tiny town of Springville. But the camp turned out to be stocked wall to wall with RVs of every description and price level. Thankfully we elected to check in early before we went exploring, or else we might not have landed a space for the night.

We're in Springville for two reasons: first, Concetta asked if we could skip the long haul across the salt flats out of Salt Lake City; and second, a lot of my ancestors settled in Springville after coming by covered wagon across the plains in the 1850s.

Once we had been issued a campsite, we headed into Springville and my ultimate destination of the town cemetery. Naturally, I hadn't come prepared with the cemetery's address, so I just pulled over when I saw a man out washing his shiny red pickup and asked him where it was located.

Incredibly enough, the man knew just how to advise us. Using his precise directions, we drove right to the cemetery and were soon parked beneath a spreading shade tree with about two acres of tombstones spread out before us. Primarily the people I hoped to find were my two times great grandmother, Emma Cecilia Daley, wife of John Stephen Daley. I also hoped to find my double and triple great grandfathers, Simmons and Enos Curtis respectively.

In the beginning, Concetta and I crisscrossed the cemetery for about hour. When Concetta eventually retreated to the cool interior of the RV to read, I spent nearly another hour crisscrossing, ostensibly in a different pattern. I quite easily found the Curtis boys, but try as I might, I could not find Emma Daley. The only Daley I found was probably a distant relation of some sort, but no one with whom I was acquainted.

It had been my thought to compile a simple history of these Curtis boys as well as my great, great grandmother, but once I started delving into it the task was so monumental that I decided it will have to wait. Perhaps I can get back to this after we're home for awhile. The vacation is very nearly over now, and this blog will be winding down. I hope you have enjoyed it so far. I look forward to doing another adventure in the future. Until then, we wish you Happy Travels!

No comments: