Saturday, March 15, 2014

Thoughts on elevation blocks

If you've read this blog in the past you know that one of the first things I found out I had to do was come up with a way to elevate the RV when we encountered camp sites which weren't exactly level. On previous trips I discovered that though my "single wheel" ramps worked well for the front wheels, if I had to elevate the dual rear wheels I had to put both of the single ramps in the rear. If I still had to elevate the front I was out of luck. So, before this trip I built a somewhat smaller ramp just for the dualies. Though the next time I do one I'd design it slightly differently, the pictured unit has worked well and I have needed it about half the time this trip. Here's a shot of the new ramp.

As you can see, I attached a galvanized garage door handle from my junk drawer to the end to make it easier to move the heavy wooden unit around. Someday I'd like to come up with some sort of lighter material to build the ramps from, but the RV is pretty heavy and you need something substantial on which to elevate it. I've seen other RVs using some sort of plastic material that looks a lot like giant Lego blocks, but they always appear to be partially crushed to me. I've also seen a lot of RV guys who don't bother to elevate at all, which makes me a little nervous in that the fridge needs to be level most of the time.

The bottom photo is of a single ramp which I constructed from a piece of pressure-treated 2x8 fir. The handle on this ramp is of brass from the junk drawer, which is a little nicer than the galvanized handle.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Seems like a heavy duty jack would be the way to go. I think they some specifically for RV leveling.

Tom Davis said...

Well, naturally the jacks would then have to go somewhere, unless they were built in as you see in many of the really large RVs. No, it's easier just to carry the ramps then to have some mechanical device you have to stow somewhere and would require occasional maintenance.