Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Burtons in English History

One of the most interesting aspects of genealogy for me is knowing the history of the various family names. Here's a little history of the Burton family name I found on the web:

"The surname Burton is a habitational name from a place name that is very common in central and northern England. The derivation in most cases is from Old English burh ‘fort’ (see Burke) + tun ‘enclosure’, ‘settlement’. There are at least twenty-nine parishes in England so called. Local surnames, by far the largest group, derived from a place name where the man held land or from the place from which he had come, or where he actually lived. These local surnames were originally preceded by a preposition such as "de", "atte", "by" or "in". The names may derive from a manor held, from working in a religious dwelling or from literally living by a wood or marsh or by a stream. Following the Crusades in Europe a need was felt for a family name. This was recognized by those of noble blood, who realized the prestige and practical advantage it would add to their status. Early records of the name mention Richard de Burton, 1273 Yorkshire and John de Burtone appears County Somerset, during the reign of Edward III (1327-1377). Willelmus de Burton of Yorkshire was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax of 1379. Giles Burton married Hannah Abberley, St. George's Chapel, Mayfair in 1754. A Shropshire family of this name came originally from Burton, near Much Wenlock. They have held lands near Shrewsbury since the time of Edward IV. Richard Burton (1821-90) the explorer and orientalist, was a member of a cadet branch. The bulk of European surnames in countries such as England and France were formed in the 13th and 14th centuries. The process started earlier and continued in some places into the 19th century, but the norm is that in the 11th century people did not have surnames, whereas by the 15th century they did. The associated arms are recorded in Sir Bernard Burkes General Armory. Ulster King of Arms in 1884."

And from another source:
"The name Burton is said to have been derived from the residents of its first bearers in places of that name in England. [Burke's Encyclopedia of Heraldry and General Armory of England, Scotland and Ireland, a copy of which is in the State Historical Library University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, states that the Burtons of Falde Hall, county Stafford; Lindley and Bedwood county Leicester: and Dronfield, county Derby, all in England, descended from Ingenulfe de Burton, who came to England with the Conqueror.

William the Conqueror, or William of Normandy, formerly Duke of Normandy, came from Normandy, France, to England in 1066. Normandy is a duchy or state of northern France. Between 850 and 900 A.D. much of northern France was over-run, conquered and settled by Northmen, Norsemen from Scandinavia and Denmark; they were Teutonic people. In 911 King Charles the Simple, King of western France, ceded to Rolf, or Rollo, the Northman the duchy of Normandy, the people of which, then, would be a mixture of French and Teutons, or Norman French, and called Normans. Fifth in descent from Rolf, the Northman, was William, Duke of Normandy, or William of Normandy; subsequently William, the Conqueror, in Oct. 1066; and William I, King of England, crowned in Dec 1066. Ingenulfe de Burton came to England with the Conqueror, then, in 1066. Inge (Ing-gen) in the given name Ingenulfe, is still found in the Danish surname, Ingemann, and in the pleasing Norwegian given, or Christian name, Ingebor or Ingobar. Hence the given name Ingenulfe indicates that he was of Teutonic descent, either Danish or Scandinavian. The de in de Burton is French, meaning of or from. thus the surname is at least part French. The combination of the two, Teutonic and French, would make the name Norman French.

From the name and because he came with the Conqueror, who was Norman French and came from Normandy, it seems one can conclude with safety that Ingenulfe de Burton was Norman French and came from Normandy. Burton is probably a Normandy district, or township, or village, in which he or his ancestors, or both, had lived.

All of the Burtons in England, and there are many of them, are very probably descendants of Ingenulfe de Burton, even if the colony to which they belong is a sub-colony of the first Burton colony or colonies in England."

As you can see from the chart below, even in 1841 there were a lot of Burtons living in Britain. I found this chart on the "your-family-history.com" website that shows the frequency of the name "Burton" in the British census records. Left-click on it to make it larger. Use your browser's back-button to return to the blog:


Oddly enough, my Burton ancestors lived in Wiltshire county in the little village of Tisbury, not mentioned in the above accounts of pirmary Burton settlement areas. Not sure why this is at present, but it should be fun to research.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Tom,
Your web site looks very promising to me and answered some of my questions regarding my family tree.
I have my tree hanging on my living room wall, but sadly it is fragmented, with a lot of missing members or only initials regarding the females.
I wondered if you can supply any other info, such as: any dates relating to Ingenulfe de Burton (who is the first line of my assent) and Robert de Burton, his son, but who did he marry, as he had two sons, William & Robert.
In fact the first date on my tree is for one Henry dev Burton, Lord of Ibstock 1204.
So any help that you can give me would much appreciated.
Christopher de Burton (I changed my name in 2000 from plain Burton & had the de added)

Bluelynx44 said...

Re Ingenulf & descendants. I have a copy of Christopher's tree (from years back, when we were in contact) Unfortunately the photo is unclear & I am unable to view the detail of the lower half. My mother (last of one line of the Burton name) passed away last year. I have traced her father's line back to 1754 (William Burton - Derbyshire) & possibly Thomas 1733. Strangely, I have, via direct blood lines, traced my mothers family back to Ingenulf. So the Burton line runs to my mother from both her parents. I have, thus far, been unable to link the two lines. I need a connection between the William Burton 1754 line & the John Burton 1703 line? Wonder if you, Christopher can publish a sharper picture.

ISurviveDoYou? said...

I traced my family back to ingulfe de burton fairly successfully on ancestry.com. I am now having some people state that the family is descended from Drogo de la Beuvrière an associate of William the COnqueror and there was no ingulfe de burton?

ISurviveDoYou? said...

https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/115333706/family?cfpid=380134042680&selnode=1

BurtonChristopher said...

Hi, my name is John Christopher Burton. I can't seem to find anything before my grandfather as he's deceased, and my grandmother is 104 and really can't remember things. What would be a good place to look for information on this, so I can trace my lineage?

Zia Clipse Gaming said...

Hi all, I am developing a bizarre connection between the Anglo Saxon kingdom of Mercia and the last name Burton and my pinpoint spot is that in reading it speaks of "The Burton" family controlling a specific land area of England for a long time.
Then a major thing in the area built in the 600s was the Byrton Abbey, Burton Abbey, and the controllers of these lands were the Penda lineage, including one of his relative Wulfric, who had Burton Abbey rebuilt and who was buried there. In fact I think many Penda lineage members are buried there.
The furthest back Burton I could find was a Roger De Burton but obviously I read as well Ingenwulf De Burton was the first documented Burton.
The Burton Abbey has a nun story that the granddaughter of Penda was also one of the first nuns there. So that and Wulfric are both ties to the Burton Abbey. I'd say the Burton Abbey is what has grown into Burton Upon The Trent.

Zia Clipse Gaming said...

That one family tree is very similar to mine, I bet we are related for sure. The split for us is at Francis Burton who I think remarried and had one of your ancestors.

Zia Clipse Gaming said...

I read Ingenulf had the name changed to Ibstock. I wonder if that is related to your Henry dev Burton of 1204.

Zia Clipse Gaming said...

I've read about both Drogo and Ingenulf existing. I have an idea worthy of a book I got ten pages done so far that Burton comes from Beuvriere and also Bethune another name. Bethune and Burton both mean fort town. I noticed in my tree people go by De Burton De Bethune De Bethum and also Betham. There's a Betham story in history research that has same Coat of Arms as registered Burton family.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I can send a picture of the hard copy I have which dates back to 1034 and
to the present day. Alternatively you can email me- kotr2469@gmail.com.
I will do my best in getting back to you.

Anonymous said...

I have a hard copy on my living room wall which clearly states that there was an Ingenulfe de Burton c 1034. Please email me @ kotr2469@gmail.com for more info

Anonymous said...

I wonder if this is the same as the picture I have from Chris de Burton, ages ago.