Monday, June 9, 2008

How do you pronouce "Rhydderch?"

I found a site on the web crafted by John Ball of Breconshire, Wales, that provides the pronunciation for those many consonant-rich Welsh town names. You can find his web site here.

I asked John if he would help me pronounce the name of my Breconshire ancestors, the Rhydderchs. John says Rhydderch is pronouced like "RUTHERCH."

"where:
'ruther' is pronounced as in the word 'brother';
the emphasis is on the first syllable (as in 'brother');
the final consonant 'ch' is pronounced as in the Scottish word 'loch'.

The name RODERICK is an English form of the Welsh Rhydderch."

Well, now that John has helped me with the pronunciation, it's easy to see why census workers butchered up the Rhydderch name decade after decade. Here's a few links to John's various web pages:

John's Homepage: here
Images of Wales: here
Welsh Family History Archive: here

No comments: