Monday, June 9, 2008

Big Football Game -- Sunday, January 2, 1910.

For most of my life I knew very little about my grandfather, Thomas Davis. My dad never spoke of his father's exploits as far as I remember. It wasn't until my mother died and I decided to take up where she left off with the family genealogy that I discovered that my namesake had been a football player. On the above date, Tom Davis took part in a football game between the teams of the Battleship Nebraska, on which he was a crewman, and the Battleship Missouri. The contest took place at American League Park in Washington, D.C., and involved the championship for the North Atlantic Fleet no less. It was a festive event with the bands from both ships providing the entertainment. I gleaned this information from the New York Times archives which provided me with the names of many of the U.S.S. Nebraska's crew. The clipping also said something very interesting. It said that, "Thomas Davis, J.B. Brine, and many others well known in the athletic world were...present." Now that's interesting! Was my grandfather really a well-known sports figure in his younger days? Obviously, more research is needed.

No comments: