Sunday, May 30, 2021

Day 25 -- Montrose, Colorado to Green River, Utah -- 162 Miles

We just drove today and listened to a murder mystery by John Sandford. I thought the story believable and well told as well. Makes me kinda miss my mystery-writing days way back when. Although I finished my one and only attempt many years ago, I couldn't interest an agent in the book. So, I moved on to bigger and better things.

One of those bigger and better things has been traveling, a passtime in which I have been desperately in love since my folks took my brother and me on our very first vacation back when I wasn't old enough to spell vacation. Later, when Mom discovered genealogy and we spent most vacations exploring the western United States in search of our ancestors, my love for seeing our magnificent country grew exponentially.

In those days the predominence of our ancestors lived in or around Utah and Colorado, so that's where we did much of our traveling. Today, "the Happy Wanderers" just happened to be traveling between Colorado and Utah, and we took a few photos along the way. We didn't stop to do any exploring, but included here are a few shots of the scenery along our route of travel (photo above).

Quite at random, we chose as our lunch hour stopping place a patch of ground off Interstate 70 that just happened to contain a cell tower. The tower must have belonged to Verizon as our internet devices were extremely pleased with our choice (photo below).

The 18-wheeler you see in the the above photo was sitting on the shoulder of the on-ramp when we drove up. I took so many photos of the rig while I was looking for good shots of the sky that I think it made the driver nervous, and he soon cranked up his truck and drove off. Here's another shot of the truck below.

As an added benefit, while tramping around looking for photo angles, I found on old cast-off RV sewer hose that had obviously lain out in the desert for years. Still, even though the hose was useless, the fitting on the end, which came complete with a Jubilee Clamp, would be super useful to someone in an energency.

We had encountered just such an emergency in our Steamboat Springs camp this trip. Two female campers next to us had just laboriously completed setting up their camp and discovered, to their embarrassment, that their sewer hose was three feet too short. They had two separate sections that would work to extend their reach, but they had no connecting device to join the two sections. Their only other choice was to break down the camp trailer, move it three feet, then set it up all over again.

Thinking that I probably had some sort of fitting in my stash of largely unused spare equipment, I dug around and found just the perfect connector. I hadn't used the piece for years and years so offered it to them, and I even offered to do the installation. Twenty minutes later they were all set up and super happy. I could easily envision the connector that I found today coming in handy in just such an emergency in the future.

So anyway, here are the photos, and as you can see, the main subject today was the magnificence of the sky and it's super expressive clouds. Enjoy!

The photo above was crafted using three separate shots. Nothing fancy, just a bit of Microsoft Paint. Just wanted to see if I could do it.

No comments: