Sunday, August 25, 2019

Day 12 -- Rhinelander, Wisconsin to Iron Mountain, Michigan -- 111 Miles

Today's high point almost didn't happen. While traveling through the state of Wisconsin, I had noticed in the U.S. Atlas that near the town of Rhinelander the mapmakers had noted the words "Logging Museum" in red ink. That would be a cool place to visit, I thought to myself. I mentioned the idea to Concetta and we discussed the possibility of a visit. But we had all but decided against it because the museum complex didn't open until noon, and photos of the museum grounds on the web seemed to focus on the younger folks and what they might find exciting to do there. Additionally, with such a late opening, we wouldn't have much time to spend on the road getting to our next camp even if we only spent an hour at the museum. Decisions decisions.

We talked about the fact that the camp in Rhinelander, called West Bay, was so very pleasant and so reasonably priced that even if we couldn't reach another city and another camp, we could just return to West Bay and ask for our old camp site again. After all, I had already figured out how to level the rig on that particular spot. But by the time we went to bed last night we had made no firm decision.

But this morning put a different face on the situation in my mind. I knew that we had to visit Walmart to do some shopping. I knew we had to purchase gasoline for the rig. I knew we had to walk the trash down to the office and take our checkbook so we could pay our bill. And I knew I wanted to fill the fresh water tank because we were half empty and the water at West Bay was pretty tasty. It occurred to me that once all those chores were done, we would have used up most of the morning and we would be looking at getting a late start anyway.

Once we were through with all the chores, the groceries were stowed and the tank filled, I asked Concetta to feed the Logging Museum's address into the GPS and we'd just go take a quick look before leaving town. I knew it wasn't open, but by then it was after 11:00 a.m. and it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the outside of the museum complex before we moved on.

Well, thanks to the fact that the GPS took us on sort of a wild goose chase before bringing us back to the park entrance where the Logging Museum was located, there was a bit less than 30 minutes left before the 12 noon opening hour. After walking over and taking a look at the grounds, and seeing all the cool equipment displayed outside, I was beginning to warm to the idea of staying. I caught sight of a museum employee and asked him if the museum would be open today since it was a Sunday and he affirmed that they would. Right then I knew what I wanted to do.

When I got back to the rig I suggested to Concetta that we might have a light lunch of fruit and yogurt or something, and then go ahead and visit the museum. She agreed, got out some cheese and homemade cookies to go with the fruit and yogurt. By the time the museum grounds were open we were ready to go.

Now I have to say that since I'm not only a huge fan of vintage tools and other hardware, I have become fairly knowledgeable on just what tools are used in what trades. The first building we entered was the sawmill which was absolutely fascinating, especially the planning machine that could cut for sides of piece of wood simultaneously. The mill machinery was set up to be operated using heavy canvas belts that ran off a 1920s McCormick Derring farm tractor with a power takeoff.

Next we visited the Blacksmith Shop which miraculously held just about every single blacksmith tool I'd ever seen in my life and then some. The building was about the size of a two-car garage and all four walls were just chock full of tools of every description. In addition, much of the floor space was taken up with things like wagon jacks, seed separators, and examples of blacksmith forges. It was heavenly!

The next building we entered, which was even larger than the first, was the logging camp Cookshack. There, every conceivable kitchen tool known to 19th century cooks was thoughtfully displayed. In addition, the museum had arranged a couple of huge dinning tables complete with checkered tablecloths and enameled plates and cups all ready for the loggers to arrive and sit down. I recognized some of the kitchen gear of course, but a lot of the tools were new to me. My favorite was a long-handled pie tong, about three feet long, that had a curved portion at one end and was just perfect for reaching in and hoisting a oven-hot pie from the deep and cavernous oven.

It was at this point that we were fortunate to meet Kerry, the museum docent in charge today. Kerry, I was soon to find out, displays the same burning desire to find and identify every single vintage tool that he can. We met when he drew my attention to a gadget in one corner of the Logger's bunkhouse that he had so far been unable to definitely identify. I gave him my guess, which was a cheese or tobacco cutter, and promised to consult all my tool books when I get home to see if I can come up with a better identification.

We two then spent the next half hour discussing old tools with all the gusto you'd expect of two guys who'd known each for years. I soon realized that Kerry was indeed a kindred spirit when it came to antiques and I hope we're able to stay in contact in the future. Before we parted, Kerry showed us one more tool that he has not identified and neither Concetta nor I had ever seen before in all our travels. I'm excited as it will give me something to research and try and add to my vintage tool knowledge base.

Leaving Kerry to his museum store duties, Concetta and I ventured out into the grounds where we found a narrow gauge engine and cars, as well as a wealth of old logging equipment. Most people don't know that logging took place in winter as well as summer. Logging didn't stop when the snow fell. On the contrary, logs were often easier to move in the snow using teams of draft animals and sleds. The museum grounds sported several examples of heavy duty sleds used just for that purpose.

The narrow gauge equipment sits next to a Soo Line railway station that has been largely restored to house not only a plethora of vintage railway station amenities on the first floor, but a startlingly large and finely crafted model railroad operation in the basement.

I was unable to get very close to the narrow gauge locomotive, but the number 5 was used for hauling logs from area camps to the mills in Rhinelander. It was subsequently exported to Mexico where did work hauling ore for a time before finally being returned to Michigan in the 1980s. The locomotive and tender are currently undergoing a major restoration, which was the reason that I was unable to get close

Thanks to an information sheet gifted to me by Kerry, I know that the Museum is city-owned and operated and receives a budget that draws from room tax monies, among other funds. But the major part of the Museum's operating budget comes from visitors and private donations.

In addition to the exhibits I have detailed herein, there were other exhibits that we simply didn't have time for today. There's a complete one-room school house, a Civilian Conservation Camp (CCC) camp barracks and garage, a Fire barn which stores three of Rhinelanders' earliest fire fighting machines, and Dukes Outboard Motor and Boat Barn. We did in fact briefly check out the outboard and boat barn, but not enough to do it justice.

About 1:30 p.m. we managed to tear ourselves away from the museum, say goodbye to Kerry, and bid farewell to a truly memorable and fascinating place to visit. From the museum we navigated over to Route 8 and headed toward Michigan and our next adventures. Our intended destination for the evening was the River's Bend camp in the state of Michigan near the town of Iron Mountain.

For the most part we just drove this afternoon, though at one point I couldn't resist stopping for a basket of freshly-picked peaches that just seemed to call to me from the side of the road. And that about does it for today. Tomorrow Concetta wants to see Sault Ste Marie at the upper end of Michigan. I'm not sure how far away that is, but perhaps you'll find us there tomorrow. Until then, The Happy Wanderers wish you happy travels and Exciting destinations as you head out on the two-lanes and explore this ever-changing and so ultra friendly land of ours.

No comments: