Thursday, June 19, 2008

Great great Grandfather, William Brown

I finally figured out why I haven't been able to find the William Brown family in the 1861 Welsh census documents. It's because in 1861 William, his wife Hanna (Owens) Brown, and their son Thomas were living in Bridgend in the county of Glamorgan. And it just happens that portions of the 1861 census have been lost, including four neighborhoods in Bridgend. Yesterday, I was able to find the birth records for Thomas Brown, who was born in 1858 in Bridgend, and my Great Grandmother, Isabella Brown, who was born in 1862 in Bridgend. I'd say that the span of births of the two children are proof-positive that the Browns were living in Bridgend in 1861 and are, therefore, among those whose census records have been lost.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I work in the Bridgend records office and I can assure you that no portions of the 1861 census are lost. A William Brown does appear in the 1861 Census born in Landovery.