Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Search for B&Bs goes on

Today, I picked the B&B where we will stay in southwestern England. In this area lived the Burton family, my dad's mother's family. Specifically, the Burtons lived on farms in the East Tisbury area. We will be staying at Webster's B&B in Salisbury, about 13 miles away. While I had three facilities to choose from once the 8 or 10 that I emailed had responded to me, Webster's seemed to have the most enthusiastic former guests leaving positive comments. All B&Bs should endeavor to have their guests leave comments on the quality of their experience.

According to my reaserch, the Burton name arrived on English shores along with William the Conquerer in the year 1066. So, the Burtons were Normans. And, as you probably know, the Normans were originally Vikings. At this point I don't know how long the Burtons lived in the Tisbury area, or what other parts of the island they once inhabited. But the bottom line is, not only do I have Celtic blood in me from my Welsh and Scottish ancestors, but Viking blood from the Burtons. Sounds exiting, doesn't it.

No comments: