Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Great, great grandmother, Martha Burton

My great, great grandmother, Martha Burton seems to have died in Chippenham in 1913. At first I couldn't understand why she would move away from Rowde where her husband, Thomas was probably buried. But then I noticed that on the 1861 census, Martha mentions that she was born in Allington. Now there are five towns named Allington in England, but I was intrigued to see that there was one just 1.8 miles from Chippenham. See photo below.


So, the question is, did Martha move back to her home town at the close of her life to be buried with her own family? The only cemetery I've come across is called the "London Road Cemetery." I don't know Martha's maiden name, but I'll certainly have to pay London Road a visit and see if I can find my great, great grandmother's final resting place.

No comments: